Sunday, August 23, 2009

some words about the process of making a slim bag

It occurred to me that some information on how my bags are constructed might be in order. How do they maintain their shape? Despite some of the detail photos showing the contrary, these bags don't crumple! When I illustrate their interior details I roll their edges back and, once photographed, they return to their natural upright positions. They are neither stiff nor floppy - and for that I credit both the design and the 100% woven cotton interfacing.

My bags consist of an Exterior with two front pockets, and an Interior or lining with two pockets and a pen pocket. There is a strap with a brass ring about 10 inches long that connects to a much longer strap that can be lengthened or shortened using the brass slider. I make the Exterior and Interior separately and both feature the chosen fabric lined with 100% woven cotton fusible interfacing. The strap is usually sewn from the Exterior fabric and is lined with the woven cotton interfacing and a strip of decor bond for substance. I also line the pocket fabric with the woven cotton interfacing.

The design features a reinforced seam running around the perimeter of both the bag Exterior and Interior. This seam also contains the pocket edges; the pockets are not attached later. The powerful magnets are inserted in the tab which is then sewn onto the back of the Exterior. Then the strap and fob are added, the Exterior and Interior are joined with two rows of stitches, and that's it!

Each bag takes most of a day to complete.