Friday, August 21, 2009

in the morning


It's morning and I'm in my studio listening to music - Coleman Hawkins right now - with crows cawing somewhere on the hill. I've been photographing bags, trying to learn how I can best show them in their wonderfulness on a two dimensional surface. (Of course, you could always come over and see them in person!)

Last week I was at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey photographing the detail points on vintage race cars - a much easier task than bags - for a magazine and had, as usual, one of my bags slung across my body and stuffed to the gills with . . . stuff. ((fleece vest, Canon A620, wallet, program schedule, phone, keys, glasses, misc pretty-up necessaries, etc.) After the event, when we went to dinner, I removed the extra track things and had my nice slim bag back, ready for an evening out. On my sites I've tried to capture the capacity of these bags with photo #5, but that's just the everyday stuff. On race days it doubles.

Now, back to the camera and then to the sewing machine. Today something new in black. And then I order some getting-into-autumn linen. Are we really on the cusp of fall? Here in Sonoma County we'll know it when the grape harvest begins and the air is full of grape-y smells. If you're in Sonoma on the last weekend of September I'll have a booth at the Valley of the Moon Vintage Festival. Tell me if we met on ETSY.